506: Melissa Canales on Urban Microgreens.
Providing convenience, variety, and deliciousness to the on-the-go conscientious eater.
In This Podcast:
We’ve all heard about the benefits of eating microgreens, but what does it take to grow them? Melissa Canales of Quantum Microgreens did a career 180 after a health crisis and now makes it her business to grow and supply this amazing health food. Hear about her growing set up and which varieties are the best for beginners. For more advanced farmers, she shares how she made the leap into farming, the business side, and how to find your place in the farming community.
Melissa grows and sells microgreens in the heart of San Diego, California. Her company Quantum Microgreens was formed in early 2017, and she specializes in selling living trays of microgreens, grown outside year-round direct to customers at farmer’s markets. She does workshops in the community introducing people to the world of microgreens and helps busy people stay healthy with fresh greens. She also sells Grow Your Own Microgreens kits to share the microgreens love throughout the country.
Listen in and learn about:
- Why a former Astrophysics major and Lawyer found her calling in growing microgreens
- Educating yourself about where your food comes from and the food systems
- How she made the leap into farming
- Her microgreen setup for growing outdoors
- Different methodologies and distribution options for microgreen farmers
- Benefits and nutritional value of eating freshly harvested produce
- The business side of farming
- How to find your place in the farming community
- Teaching people how to grow microgreens
- Her introductory microgreen kits that you can use to grow at home
- The easiest varieties of microgreens to grow
As well as:
Her failure – Still figuring out how to set up irrigation for her ideal setup and selling methodology.
Her success – The first kit she sold to a stranger.
Her drive – Curiosity about the way the world works.
Her advice – Be kind to yourself.
Melissa’s Book recommendations*: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
How to reach Melissa:
We are collecting responses and will advise all winners when we have received 50 responses or within the next 45 days which ever comes first. We say “Thank You” to Melissa for this offer.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!