596: Patti Milligan on Saliva and the Immune System.
Improving our body’s resilience to environmental and emotional stressors.
In This Podcast:
This week we delve into the world of saliva research as we speak with Patti Milligan on the importance of healthy saliva production. Patti describes how our saliva production can be impacted by the foods we eat and when we eat those certain foods that create healthy saliva, this bolsters our immune systems. Patti advises us on some tried and true ways to improve saliva production including the types of foods we should be eating and which foods to avoid.
Patti has been in the nutrition field for nearly 40 years. Working in clinical nutrition, integrative medicine and natural foods, Patti brings a unique blend of clinical, educational, holistic, consumer, and PR experience. Her work and passion in the field of Neuroscience of Taste has led her to the field of saliva research and exploring the ‘why’ behind the foods we like.
Listen in and learn about:
- Why is there a sudden interest in saliva research
- How does saliva aid in the digestive process
- Why does stress affect saliva production
- How does lack of saliva play a vital role in immune function
- What are the key things people can do to improve the nervous state
- The difference in saliva production when in stressed versus relaxed mind sets
- What are the top foods Patti suggests to eat to increase saliva
- What kind of techniques trigger relaxation before eating
- How can one maintain quality of saliva
- Why should be pay attention to toothpaste ingredients
- How healthy saliva production helps children with cancer
- Why Patti advises instituting saliva protocols to keep elderly people from choking
- Jet Renewal Kit
As well as:
Her childhood memory – Eating cookies made by her Norwegian grandparents that is a traditional recipe from the olden days which the whole process took six hours to make
Patti’s Previous Podcast Episode:
How to reach Patti:
LinkedIn: Patti Tveit Milligan, PhD RD CNS
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.