579: Michael Kilpatrick on Starting a New Farm.
Helping others navigate the challenges of starting a new farm.
In This Podcast:
Farming is often perceived as a career that requires long hours, little leisure and profit. However, Michael Kilpatrick spends every day working towards his vision working with farmers to create sustainable farming systems that generate profit and provide the ability to enjoy life. Listen in to learn about his ideas on how to build a profitable farm, the most important aspects of farming, as well as sound advice for someone who is looking to start a new farm.
Michael is a farmer, presenter, host, inventor and online entrepreneur who lives to help farmers apply business principles and practical, proven solutions to grow their businesses and de-stress their lives. He has managed large certified organic farms and businesses, consulted for industry experts, and spoken at dozens of industry conferences. He is the host of the Thriving Farmer Podcast and Summit series, Visionary and educator at Growing Farmers, and farmer at The Farm on Central.
Listen in and learn about:
- How did Michael become introduced to farming
- What is the story behind his passion of working with farmers
- Who are the top known farmers Michael got to work with first hand
- What is the biggest mistake farmers make when scaling up
- Why is having the right business model so crucial to success
- What are the biggest challenges farmers face when starting a new farm
- What is Michael’s vision for his new farm he recently purchased
- How did he build community through growing a cover crop
- Michael’s farming education programs
- Start Your Farm Intensive
As well as:
His failure – Overproducing crops when he first started without having a big enough market to sell
His success – His farm being mismanaged into bankruptcy which led to his passion to help farmers
His drive – The excitement he gets from solving new problems, especially sustainable farming systems!
His advice – “Start small, try it out first, don’t be afraid to ask for advice.”
Michael’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Michael:
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.