480: Kevin Espiritu on his Apocalypse Grow Survival Challenge.
Experimenting with living off existing food sources for difficult times.
In This Podcast:
We followed up with Kevin Espiritu to hear the results of his Apocalypse Survival Challenge. Could you survive for a whole month only eating what you grow, fish, barter, or forage? Hear how Kevin used his 200 square foot gardening space, community foodscapes, and trade to nourish himself for an entire month. He gets specific on identifying what foods to grow in the 90 days prior to the challenge, how he added protein using fishing and plants, and his surprising takeaways.
Our Guest:His business Epic Gardening began as a way for Kevin to present gardening information in a more modern, updated way to friends and family. First came the website. Followed by YouTube, a daily podcast, and finally his social media presence on Instagram, and Facebook. Kevin is the author of Field Guide to Urban Gardening from our friends at Quarto Publishing. Like Greg, Kevin was a presenter on the recent Superfood Summit and loves to share gardening knowledge.
Listen in and learn about:
- The rules and regulations of his Apocalypse Grow Survival Challenge
- A month of only eating what you grow, fish, forage or barter for
- Surviving off a 200 square foot growing space
- Food withdrawal and awareness of addictive foods
- Getting adequate protein without being able to buy it at the grocery store
- Different growing methods to grow potatoes and what was most effective
- Learning to forage and utilizing foodscaping in public spaces or approaching owners of edible ornamentals to harvest from their plants
- The art of bartering food and how to identify high value, unique harvest to trade
- The community value he experienced in an apocalypse potluck and trade event
- Creative cooking with limited resources
- Crop planning for quick harvests
- The hardest and easiest part of the challenge for Kevin
- His insight into the disadvantages of living in a food desert or impoverished
- The power of community and changing the world through growing food
- His plans for the next challenge
As well as:
His food memory – His grandfather’s cooking and the philippino flavors he used in his creations.
Books written by Kevin:
How to reach Kevin:
Podcast: Epic Gardening
YouTube: Epic Gardening
Instagram: Epic Gardening
Kevin’s Previous Podcast:
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!