473: Kevin Espiritu on Small-Space Urban Gardens.
Expanded growing options through hydroponics.
In This Podcast:
When Kevin Espiritu started gardening he quickly became interested in hydroponics, and as he tried to learn how, he found that most articles and books were focused on only one well-known plant and he wanted to grow food. He started documenting his experiences to help others, and now Kevin has several platforms to share information for new and beginning gardeners. Today he shares several tips about small space gardening, and how there is a way for anyone with a will.
Living in a condo in 2011, Kevin didn’t have the space for a big backyard soil-based garden, so he got creative. Learning about urban gardening was eye opening for Kevin and as a self-admitted geek and someone with an obsessive personality, he got hooked. Living in a condo in 2011, Kevin didn’t have the space for a big backyard soil-based garden, so he got creative. Learning about urban gardening was eye opening for Kevin and as a self-admitted geek and someone with an obsessive personality, he got hooked.
He started building his own “bizarre” hydroponic systems with amazing results, and when his friends and family wanted to learn how to do the same – Kevin was in business. Epic Gardening began as a way to present gardening information in a more modern, updated way. First, the website. Next was YouTube, a daily podcast, and then his Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest presence. Kevin is the author of Field Guide to Urban Gardening from our friends at Quarto Publishing.
Listen in and learn about:
- Starting a garden with his brother and his first attempt at hydroponics
- Struggling to find more information on hydroponics outside of the common herb
- Going full time on Epic Gardening since 2013 and how this works for him
- Having multiple revenue streams help
- Worked with Mel Bartholemew before he realized who he was
- The bizarre project he worked on with his hydroponic system
- Growing microgreens as a business
- Selling microgreens to restaurants in San Diego
- Working with Shawna Coronado to get his book published
- How his book helps practically every would be gardener
- Talking about the self-watering 5-gallon bucket and other wicking options for gardening
- Tips for renters on how to build a raised bed garden bed
- His new project Apocalypse Grow
- What he has learned about peanuts
As well as:
- His failure – The first time he grows most plants is not optimal – like peanuts!
- His success – Watching others succeed from some of his shared stories
- His drive – Living his life and reconnecting with nature
- His advice – Think less and garden more!
Books written by Kevin:
Kevin’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Kevin:
Podcast: Epic Gardening
Instagram/Youtube: Epic Gardening
We are collecting responses and will advise all winners when we have received 50 responses or within the next 45 days which ever comes first. We say “Thank You” to Kevin and Quarto Publishing for this offer.
Special thanks to our sponsors:gemplers.com/urbanfarm
(use code URBANFARM01)
The go-to boots for big tasks!
To learn more about Growing Your Own Food