by Guest blogger: Sara Wolters
of Pomona’s Pectin
Listen to her podcast HERE
Nectarines are my absolute favorite summer fruit. We developed this recipe to capture the intense flavor of nectarine, while giving it an extra flavor/color kick with the cherries. Any type of nectarine will be delicious, but I personally prefer using white nectarines. This low-sugar cooked jam made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin is summer in a jar…
Yield: 4 to 5 cups
Before You Begin:
Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
3 cups mashed nectarine
1 cup mashed cherries
¼ cup lemon juice
4 tsp calcium water
1 cup sugar
3 tsp Pomonas Pectin Universal 3 Pack
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Measure mashed nectarine and cherries into sauce pan.
- Add calcium water and lemon juice and mix well.
- Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sweetener mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down.
Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.
About this author:
Sara and her husband own and operate Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin has been around for 39 years, and they’ve owned the business for just over 2 years now. They have two sons and live right next to Yosemite National Park.
How to reach Sara:
Facebook: Pomona’s Universal Pectin
Pinterest: Pomona’s Universal Pectin
Jam line: (559)-760-0910
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.