410: Lloyd Hardrick on Keeping Urban Bees.
Building up a better buzz on bees.
Lloyd served in the U.S. Army for 10 years. After the army, he became a certified beekeeper and in 2015 he and his wife Ashley founded their beekeeping company. Honey Bee Goode Apiaries, is not just about bees and honey, they specialize in developing relationships with urban farmers and teaching in the local communities about the relationship between bees, flowers, and food.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Honey Bee Goode Apiaries was one of the Farmer Veteran Coalition’s 2018 Fellowship Fund Grant recipients. Honey Bee Good plants their hives on urban farms throughout their community. Lloyd was the recipient of a $1000 Tractor Supply donation, through the Veteran Coalition’s program that offers assistance to veterans in the early stages of their farming operations.
In This Podcast:
Walking by Lloyds of London with his wife Ashley, Lloyd Hardrick was intrigued by the beehives in the windows of the famous bank that shared his name. Curiosity led to research and research led to the career path that Lloyd and Ashley ventured on—raising bees. Making an impact on their community is the prime goal for Lloyd as he works to educate people on bees and their importance in our lives. As Lloyd says, “We all depend on bees. It’s everybody’s business to want to save the bees.”
Listen in and learn about:
“We all depend on bees. It’s everybody’s business to want to save the bees.”
- How Lloyd and Ashley got interested in bees
- The remarkable age at which Lloyd first saw his first beehive
- What an apiary is
- What happens when a hive reaches population capacity
- How Lloyd and Ashley are impacting their community with their honey bees.
- How not all honey you buy at the store is 100 percent honey—and how you can test this at home
As well as:
- His failure – We lost two of our first three hives to ants, the soldiers of nature
- His success – Working to bring bee education to children as young as kindergarten
- His drive – It’s all about the bees and the impact we can have on the community. So many people believe in us.
- His advice – If you see something you want to get into, go for it, but start small and do your research. Then if you want to go big, go big.
Lloyd’s Book recommendations:
Everybody Pays a Vig: One Man’s Entrepreneurial Journey by Craig Sotkovsky
How to reach Lloyd:
GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/saveabee (Saving bees and creating natural safe havens around the community)
Lloyd’s Blog Article:
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and have the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a small business.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.