540: Brad Lancaster on Planting the Rain.
Teaching about the personal and community benefits of harvesting rainwater.
In This Podcast:
Returning guest, Brad Lancaster, recently taught us about Harvesting the Rain and is back to teach about Planting the Rain. If you’ve ever considered capturing rainwater directly in your landscape, this episode will teach you about rainwater planting methods and strategies, how captured water impacts thermoregulation, and water as a lubricant for exchange. Get inspired by a village in India that changed their water planting culture and learn how to create healthier soil.
Don’t Miss an Episode!!
Click HERE to sign up for regular podcast updates
Brad runs a successful permaculture consulting, design, and education business in Tucson, Arizona. He is focused on integrated and sustainable approaches to landscape design, planning, and living. Growing up in a dryland environment, water harvesting has long been one of his specialties and a true passion.
He is the author of the permaculture bible for water harvesting: Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond Volumes I & II and he has just released new full color revised and expanded editions of both.
Listen in and learn about:
- The revised versions of his books and the content and focus of each volume
- Gabions vs a one rock damn with vegetation
- Roads as modern-day rivers and how to capture water before it gets to the street
- Diverting road water into street side plantings
- Water as a lubricant for exchange
- How captured water impacts thermoregulation
- Mulching with organic matter vs mulching with rock and gravel
- How a village in India turned around their dry environment and created a water planting culture
- Organic matter and water as essential components of healthy soil
- Brad’s epilogue in Rainwater Harvesting Volume II
Books written by (available at deep discount direct from, & signed by Brad):
Books written by, and available direct from, Desert Havesters:
How to reach Brad: