514: Brad Lancaster about Harvesting the Rain.
Maximizing the benefit of rainwater for both personal and community use.
In This Podcast:
Have you ever considered capturing free water for your landscape? Brad Lancaster has pioneered rainwater harvesting in Tucson, AZ and around the world. He teaches how to reinvest rainwater into living systems that grow resources all for the cost of shoveling some dirt. Learn about rain gardens, zoning, benefits of rainwater, adjusting your mentality, developing your strategy, and integrating sun, shade, and gravity into your design. You’ll never look at your yard the same way! Don’t Miss an Episode!! Click HERE to sign up for regular podcast updates
Our Guest:Brad runs a successful permaculture consulting, design, and education business in Tucson, Arizona. He is focused on integrated and sustainable approaches to landscape design, planning, and living. Growing up in a dryland environment, water harvesting has long been one of his specialties and a true passion. He is the author of the permaculture bible for water harvesting: Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond Volumes I & II and he has just released new full color revised and expanded editions of both.
Listen in and learn about:
- How water harvesting has changed since 2006
- Tucson’s support of water harvesting with new laws around building new roads and homes
- Impacting laws and policy through information and demonstration sites
- Alpine, Texas library water-harvesting project (and more) Click Here
- Harvesting rainwater for the price of shoveling dirt consciously
- Adjusting your mentality around water scarcity
- Building to capture free water and reinvesting it into living systems that grow resources
- Adapting water harvesting from dry to wet climates
- Rain Garden zoning, theory, and plants
- Developing a water strategy for your land through observation
- Using the power of gravity and starting at the top then working your way down
- Integrative thinking that considers factors like sun and shade in your water harvesting
- The benefits of rainwater over municipal water
- Rainwater harvesting in schools
- Odyssey Storytelling Podcast Appearances
Books written by Brad – available at deep discount direct from, & signed by Brad:
“Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond Volumes I & II”
Books written by, and available direct from, Desert Havesters:
How to reach Brad:
Facebook: Brad Lancaster – Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond
393: Brad Lancaster on Wild Food Forestry.
110: Brad Lancaster on Rainwater Harvesting