486: Clint Hickman on Building Community Sustainability.
Honoring a family heritage of nurturing neighbors.
In This Podcast:
Most people in Arizona are familiar with Hickman’s eggs, but there is so much more to this family-run business than eggs! Clint Hickman shared with us the evolution of egg farming, and how his family business grew enough to feed Phoenix. He also explains all the side businesses that came out of egg farming: organic fertilizer, recycling programs, and animal feed. They have even formed a mutually beneficial program with local prisons that gives farm-work-release inmates a leg up.
Clint is the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Hickman’s Family Farms, the largest egg company in the Southwest United States and one of the top 20 nationwide. Truly family-run, Clint and his siblings have built up the business that his grandmother founded. A graduate of the University of Arizona, he oversees the vast network of partners that Hickman’s maintains, and guides the company’s marketing efforts.
While growing up, Clint was inspired by how his grandparents treated friends and neighbors. From that he now makes sure that programs are provided to help relieve hunger, support education, and promote extensive and ongoing training in the communities that Hickman brands are welcomed.
Listen in and learn about:
- The Hickman Family Farm and how it’s grown even though it stayed in the family
- The drastic changes there have been to egg farming over the years
- Insight into the egg industry and how population expansion has helped their business
- How they got into the organic fertilizer business
- How they recycle/reuse items on the farm, and utilize all parts of the chicken
- How many soda bottles it takes to make an egg carton, and how all their cartons are 100% recycled
- The complete life cycle of the chicken
- Their inmate farm program and their housing program for released inmates working on the farm
- Touch Labor and Starter Jobs
As well as:
His failure – Going to college unprepared and struggling in his first semester.
His success – His family and fatherhood.
His drive – to be a better person and more compassionate human being.
His advice – Whatever you want to do, do it to the best of your ability!
Clint’s Book recommendations:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
How to reach Clint:
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!