485: Jolene Kuty on Abundant Holistic Harvests.
Creating a full circle food system that connects family and community.
In This Podcast:
Wholistic living has taken on a whole new meaning for Jolene Kuty! Through learning about health, she went from eating cheese infused hot dogs to working as a chiropractic physician surrounded by her half-acre urban farm. She created a full circle system using compost, chickens, mealworms, and contributions from neighbors. Hear how she engages her kids and educates with no element overlooked as she creates a thriving space that allows her to get outside and engage with the world.
Chiropractic physician and health educator, Dr. Jolene Kuty, built an idyllic sustainable urban farm as a role model for her patients and her family. Her home and on-site chiropractic office is surrounded by 800 sq. ft. of raised organic vegetable gardens and over 20 Urban Farm fruit trees. They live, work, and play on a half-acre in the city where their five children swing beside seedlings and are surrounded by fresh growing fruit. They eat farm-to-table sharing recipes and inspiration with all who visit.
Listen in and learn about:
- How Jolene transformed her half-acre Urban Farm from a blank slate
- How gardening allows anyone to get outside and engage in the world
- Kids in the garden
- Learning opportunities in your Urban Farm
- Creating engaging, healthy spaces and lifestyle
- Growing for the experience and the joy in seeing the cycle of plants
- Eating from the garden and how to use an abundant harvest
- Raising mealworms and their benefits
- Using on site, full circle elements to create a thriving garden
- Taking a wholistic look at your health and life habits
- The four pillars of movement, nutrition, hydration, and emotional wellness
As well as:
Her failure – Over planning her garden instead of treating it like an experiment.
Her success – Her fruit trees and the abundant harvest that she gets from them.
Her drive – Her and her family’s health.
Her advice – Act now, motivation later. Don’t get stuck in the planning and go for it! Every part adds to the garden in creating the ecosystem.
Jolene’s Book recommendations:
Something from Nothing by Phoebe Gilman
How to reach Jolene:
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!