577: Quita Jackson on Off-Grid Container Homes.
Building small homes using thrifty resources.
In This Podcast:
Our ancestors were the pioneers of the past that lived off the land and as society advanced, so did our way of life. Currently, we are living life unsustainably and creating waste along the way. However, Quita Jackson had a vision to revert back to living like the mothers before her and decided to follow her dreams of living off-grid. Listen in to learn about how she built her container home, the challenges along the way, and the importance of mimicking mother nature.
Nature Lover, Mom and Wife, Producer, Storyteller, and Educator are just some of the words that describe Quita. She is the founder and host of GreenDesert.org; a site dedicated to leaving less of a carbon footprint by mimicking nature. From helping build school gardens, to building off-grid shipping container homes, to sharing backyard-to-kitchen recipes, She truly lives a sustainable lifestyle and strives for zero waste. Her GreenDesert TV page has more than 100 videos sharing her lifestyle. Quita also produced and created shows for ABC News in Phoenix for the last 20 years.
Listen in and learn about:
- What has Quita been up to since her last guest appearance
- How did she discover building container homes
- What led her to the decision of living off-grid
- What was the process of designing her home
- Where did she encounter the biggest challenges
- How does she live a zero waste lifestyle
- How did she make the inside look like a home and less like a shipping container
- What is the special history behind her land she lives on
- Why is it important to start early with understanding municipal law
- The benefits of mimicking mother nature
As well as:
Her childhood memory – She always danced when she was enjoying her food and still does to this day
Her advice – “Don’t let society dictate your passion, and don’t self-sabotage opportunities because of fear.”
How to reach Quita:
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.