523: DaNelle Wolford on Making More with Goats.
Maximizing farm production with a little help from some four-legged friends.
In This Podcast:
Even if you live in a city, this podcast with DaNelle Wolford will have you checking your zoning regulations on backyard goats and pigs! Listen in to learn why she loves raising Nigerian Dwarf goats, all about their milk, and why it digests better than cow’s milk. She shares all about animal care, breeding goats, milk production, and how they maximize all the functions of their farm animals. You’ll be searching her videos for more about her cool setup before the podcast is over!
Don’t Miss an Episode!!
Click HERE to sign up for regular podcast updates
DaNelle is an urban farmer & goat enthusiast located in Phoenix, Arizona. She runs a popular blog & YouTube channel called Weed ’em & Reap that boasts over 100 million views. She started to take an interest in a healthier lifestyle after being diagnosed with two debilitating chronic diseases.
On a mission to create a farm of her own, she & her husband purchased an acre of land in the city and transformed it into their very own urban farm. Together with their two children, they milk goats, gather eggs from their chickens, tend to a large garden, and raise fish in Arizona’s first naturally filtered swimming pond. They share their hilarious farm adventures on their YouTube channel with over 400,000 subscribers and are passionate about inspiring others to grow food and raise animals, no matter the size of their yard.
Listen in and learn about:
- Maximizing 1 Acre of flood irrigated land in Phoenix
- Her YouTube channel and what it’s like to live life on display
- Having pigs on the property and selecting the right breed of pig for your space
- Raising goats and why they are great for your farm
- The digestive differences of goat milk and why the taste is different than goat cheese
- Misconceptions about goats
- Why she prefers to have Nigerian Dwarf Goats and their care
- Having goats or pigs in a city environment and why you need two
- Breeding goats and why you have to breed them before you can use them for milk production
- Utilizing all functions and benefits of farm animals
- Chickens, turkeys, and peacocks on her farm
- Her Arizona swimming pond that is naturally filtered and utilizes pumps but supports raising fish
As well as:
Her childhood memory – Her mom making homemade bread.
Her advice – Don’t be afraid to fail, the best learning is in the experience! Don’t forget to observe and take notes for the next year!
DaNelle’s Book recommendations*:
Storey’s Guide to raising Dairy Goats by Jerry Belanger (large amounts of goats)
How to reach DaNelle:
YouTube: Weed ’em & Reap
Facebook: Weed ’em & Reap
84: DaNelle Wolford on Raising Goats and Sheep
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!
AND…To learn more about Growing Your Own Food