434: Stephanie Lucas on Recipe Delivery for Kids.
Encouraging family bonding, healthy habits & creative confidence for young cooks.
Stephanie Lucas grew up as a competitive gymnast where she learned first-hand that the body required the proper fuel to feel good and perform at its peak potential. Luckily, she was blessed with parents that loved to cook and a grandmother who had a passion for gardening. It is no surprise that she dedicated her college years to studying human nutrition and her career of planting the seed of proper nutrition with others.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
After spending 15 years in nutrition operations for hospitals and schools and now the mother of 2 young children and the wife of a busy firefighter, she is deeply dedicated to encouraging families to make healthy choices in their own homes. As the Executive Director of Give Garden, a recipe delivery service for kids, she launched that dream into reality.
In This Podcast:
Give Garden is a recipe delivery service that teaches kids STEM skills and healthy eating habits. Stephanie Lucas, the program’s creator, used her 15 years as a corporate nutritionist to create this Give Garden to encourage family bonding and build confidence in young cooks. Inadvertently, she is helping community members by creating jobs and using local resources in a new, innovative way. Listen in to learn about the monthly box and how to get a discount on your first one!
Listen in and learn about:
- How sports taught her the importance of healthy eating
- The importance of food in social and emotional connections
- Parenting to teach healthy food habits
- What makes Give Garden different from other recipe delivery services
- Turning cooking into a creative family activity and teaches like a science experiment
- The huge variety of groups that benefit from the fundraiser aspect of Give Garden
- What’s in the monthly box
- The food fundamentals taught and skills developed through their
- Teaching STEM through cooking
- The logistics of running a food delivery box service and her innovative way that benefits the community and local school workers.
- How they keep the carbon footprint of the boxes eco-friendly
- Markets where the Give Garden boxes are available
As well as:
Her failure – Not realizing right away how our differences make us stronger and more balanced.
Her success – Embracing her passion for creating change.
Her drive – Her passion around food and sharing all that food brings.
Her advice – Nutrition advice can be contradictory. Instead, focus on including things in your diet that you know have a positive health impact, not what you shouldn’t have.
Stephanie’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Stephanie :
$5 off your first Give Garden Box purchase using discount code: UrbanFarm5
Thank you to LaCrosse Boots for sponsoring this episode
Lacrosse Boots – The go to boots for big tasks!
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and have the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a small business.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.