376: Hilary Boynton as The Lunch Lady.
Preparing school meals with gut health in mind.
Hilary is a certified holistic health counselor, with a BA in psychology from the University of Virginia and trained at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. Inspired by her experience of “food as medicine,” she dedicated herself to helping others on their path to wellness as a cook, coach, and professional educator.
Seeing our chronic global health problems opened her eyes. The lessons she learned along the way helped to fuel her project LIVE YUM YUM and inspired her to co-author the bestselling The Heal your Gut Cookbook, released in September 2014.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Hilary’s passion and determination to empower people to take control of their own health and prevent disease is tireless. Plus, along the way she has earned the title of The Lunch Lady
In This Podcast:
After growing up believing the only healthy way to eat was “fat-free”, Hilary Boynton was not prepared for the fertility and health issues that plagued her family. Seeking the best for her children, she educated herself on “real-food”, the GAPS diet, and eventually wrote a cookbook with gut health in mind. This path led her to becoming a school lunch lady cooking and educating for gut health to the students.
Listen in and learn about:
- Growing up thinking “fat-free” was the only way to eat healthy
- Multiple miscarriages and then having kids through in-vitro
- Trusting everything she heard from her doctors
- Slowly realizing internal health was important
- Participating in an underground co-op for raw milk
- The light bulb moment with real food
- Weston Price Foundation –
- Running a coop in Massachusetts
- Deciding to write a cook book on the GAPS diet
- Husband’s health took a turn adding another health issue to her family
- Trying everything to treat his cancer
- Moving to Los Angeles to find alternative options for his health, then her book came out
- Finding a nature-based school in Topanga and loving the food plan until the lunches got outsourced
- Stepping in to be the lunch lady at her children’s school
- Looking into the gut bacteria balance
- Bio individuality is important in gut health
- Her recommendation is to evaluate where you are health wise
- Don’t have to be rigid on your diet –
- Finding a practitioner at www.gaps.me
- Coming back to the school and becoming their lunch snack coordinator
- Slowly working healthier foods into the school system
- Introducing foods, a little at a time
As well as:
Her failure – Trying out for a soccer team and being only one in her group that did not make the team
Her success – Her children first and her book second
Her drive – Keeping kids out of the medical system, helping prevent disease
Her advice – Self-care, slow down, take time to do things with your friends. Proper sleep, proper nutrition
Books written by Hilary:
Watch The Lunch Lady video: HERE
Hilary’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Hilary:
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and know that you are supporting a small business.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.