375: Eddy Garcia on Polystyrene Eating Bugs.
Finding an ally in nature for waste disposal.
Eddy, has an E.B.N. or as he likes to call it Educated By Nature degree. With over 30 years of living off-grid on a remote Hawaiian island he has developed a deep connection to Nature. It has taught him fundamental truths that are woven into Living Earth Systems: Observation, Consistency & Patience.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Eddy is the lead designer for Living Earth Systems which designs and builds holistic agriculture systems for the future. He is also one of the founders of R.E.C. (Regenerative Education Centers) which demonstrates alternative technologies and approaches to solve some of our planet’s current problems. Eddy educates and inspires to promote regenerative lifestyles.
In This Podcast:
He is always on the lookout to find ways to have a better relationship with nature, so when Eddy Garcia noticed that some beetle larvae were eating the polystyrene cup he put them in, he jumped into experiments to learn more. Using a surfboard in a science experiment, his achieved some exciting and astonishing results. All of this tied into his work to educate others about regenerative systems, and even aspiring surfers in Iowa are learning about earth systems through his projects.
Listen in and learn about:
- Living in a remote valley in Hawaii and his quest to live better with nature
- Experimenting with some beetle larva to see what they eat
- Finding that the larva are able to eat Styrofoam
- Breaking the bonds in styrene into simpler compounds
- Being inspired to look past just recycling and to bioremediation as a solution
- Looking at some ratios of polystyrene and Styrofoam in landfills and the volume in mass
- Bringing the concepts into the surfing world
- Connecting with kids in Iowa through their interest in surfing
- Making the research available through their regenerative education centers
- The process that is in testing using compost from old surfboards to grow ingredients for new surfboards
- Benefits of regenerative processes explained
- Working towards a healthier relationship with nature
- If you want to order a surfboard do your research!
As well as:
- His failure – he does not see failure – only chances to learn – like the time a broken surfboard introduced him to the stryofoam eating larvae
“Mistakes are our greatest assets”
- His success – All of his greatest failures have led him to his relationship with nature
- His drive – To share answers and help others
“There are two ways to wealth: to acquire more, or desire less”
- His advice – We all have green thumbs!
Eddy’s Book recommendations:
Darwin’s Notes on Earthworms
The erosion of civilizations by David Montgomery – audio book
How to reach Eddy:
Instagram: LivingEarthSystems MauiNewEarth ReCenters.org
To learn more about more about Growing Your Own Food
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above for just a little bit more at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and know that you are supporting a small business.