374: Anthony Dominguez on Soil Microbes.
Digging into the vast world of invisible life in our soils.
Anthony is an Arizona native from the town of Gila Bend, with a degree in Microbiology from the University of Arizona. He is a co-founder and C.O.O. of HiKreations, a company dedicated to bringing beneficial microbes to the world and farmers everywhere. With an organic philosophy and a science core, they have developed a line of soil amendments for both indoor and outdoor cultivation. He has a long interest in microbes, especially in their beneficial properties.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
In This Podcast:
It takes a real love of science and soil ecosystems to be as comfortable with microbes as Anthony Dominguez is such that he rattles off names of bacteria species like he is sharing the guest list for a party. This passion translates into a true dedication to making life supporting products for the soil microbiome. We should all enjoy our jobs as much as he does; and knowing how much he cares can inspire you to build a better soil for your plants.
Listen in and learn about:
- Growing up with the influence of his grandfathers who were part of commercial agriculture on one side and ‘hippie’ organic farming on the other
- Being interested in science and finding his 7th grade teacher as an advisor in college
- Appreciating the smells of agriculture in the lab
- Working with microbes: bacteria, fungi, viruses, algae, and parasites
- Bacilli species found in the soil, and a casual mention of their virulence
- Gene expression and making it a little easier to understand
- Listing off a few of the beneficial species that are good for the soil
- How pesticides can damage the soil, and other options that are in the soil
- The financial challenge of getting products to market
- What can be seen from beneficial microbe inoculation of soil
- Discussing home brew compost teas vs “on the shelf” sprays
- How foliar sprays help plants
- The products that HyKreations sell
- Loving the science and helping people find solutions to their soil issues
- Being quite young and recognizing the need to listen and learn from others
- Developing the product lines and finding names for each one
As well as:
- His failure – Taking his microbiology class without the needed organic chemistry background and bombing the first time through.
- His success – Going to Mexico on a service mission to help build homes for needy families
- His drive – Being able to discover a new soil bacterium every day and there still being more to learn
- His advice – Go out there and do it!
Anthony’s Book recommendations:
Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines – by Nick Sheff
How to reach Anthony:
Facebook: HyKreations AZ
To learn more about more about Growing Your Own Food
And to see the I’m an Urban Farmer line
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and know that you are supporting a small business.