342: Ken Berry on Discussing Health with Your Doctor.
Using your doctor as a valuable resource.
Ken is a Family Physician, Speaker and Author of the self-published book Lies My Doctor told me. He has been practicing Family Medicine for over a decade. He is board certified in Family Medicine, and has been awarded the degree of Fellow, by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Don’t miss an episode! Click here to sign up for podcast updatesHaving seen over 20,000 patients of all ages during his career, he is uniquely qualified to write on both acute and chronic diseases. More and more, he has focused on the chronic diseases caused by the Standard American Diet and Lifestyle, and has made it his mission to turn the tide on the epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes, chronic inflammation and dementia. Ken has four children, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 7 peacocks. He, and his beautiful wife Neisha, live on their farm in Holladay, TN.
In This Podcast:
Having a background in construction, he was not your typical med student, but Dr. Ken Berry used his real-world experience to become a better doctor. Then when he realized he was becoming physically unfit while following the advice he’d been giving his patients, he questioned his teachings and sought out better answers. He now helps people communicate better with their doctors and offers advice on diets to fight obesity and Type 2 Diabetes among other chronic illnesses.
Listen in and learn about:
- His unusual path to becoming a doctor and how that affected his method of practice
- Chronic vs Acute
- Curable chronic diseases
- Type II diabetes and some misinformation he’s heard from his patients
- Healthy gut biome and how diet affects this
- How the gut is key to health
- Zombie ants and the fungus that hijacks these ants
- Withdrawal symptoms and why we need to change our reaction
“If you have broken the addiction from your ‘foods of abuse’, then don’t ever go back” – Dr. Ken Berry
- The benefits of his construction background
- The day he realized he was becoming a “fat doctor”
- Going back to square one and relearning about human nutrition
- The three most important things to fix your diet and lose weight
- Baby steps and videos to help
- Lies through ignorance that he is working to fix
- Breastmilk and Vitamin D
- If your doctor is offended that you are doing your own research, then get a new doctor
As well as:
- His failure’– His detour was his son, unplanned and unintended…
- His success – Founding his little clinic and watching it become what it has
- His drive – Changing the curve of the obesity and Type 2 Diabetes epidemics in America
- His advice – Not to accept any advice blindly from any expert – pubmed.gov
Books written by Ken:
Ken’s Book recommendations:
Producer’s note: Whenever we can, we will be trying to support local businesses. As a result, if a link is available for a particular book mentioned by a guest, we will offer one for Changing Hands Bookshop.
How to reach Ken:
You Tube: Dr. Ken Berry
Facebook: Dr. Ken Berry
This episode was sponsored by The Food Revolution Summit. Visit www.urbanfarm.org/summit to support our show and learn more.
Don’t miss an episode! Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.