692: Fertilizing through irrigation.
A Garden Chat with Scott Murray.
On the last Tuesday every month we host The Urban Farm Garden Chats where Greg Peterson has a relaxed conversation in a Zoom room with a special guest to cover useful gardening topics, and they answer questions from the live listening audience. To join us for the next event, go to www.GardenChat.org or
Click HERE to register for the Monthly Garden Chat with Live Q&A
In This Garden Chat:
Watering your gardens is a step that we all need to do. Fertilizing is just as important, although sometimes not as easy to remember. Both of these chores can be done in a variety of ways and too many choices might prevent us from starting. Join us as we chat with our friend and mentor Scott Murray about combining those two processes into one easy step to minimize our energy output and boost our harvest and garden health. Fertlizing with your irrigation is the solution to many gardening and orcharding questions.
Scott Murray has 48 years of organic agriculture production experience in the United States & Mexico. He has served in a wide variety of roles within conservation, food production, and environmental leadership, including as an elected California conservation official for the last 27 years. Scott also specializes in farmland preservation projects utilizing smart growth principles. These days his primary work is on farm creation and consulting, including his work on a farm growing coffee in southern CA which had its first harvest and sold out in one day…at an unbelievable $796 a pound.
– Fertilization + Irrigation = Fertigation
– The right equipment for every size space (and where to find it)
– Plants don’t eat in buckets
– The transpiration stream and how it affects your watering routine
– Serve your plants a buffet
– Micronutrients – the building blocks of flavor and nutrition
– The decreased nutrition in our food today compared to years ago
– Organic urgent care for stressed plants
– Considering the personal chemistry of each plant
– Injectors, from the simple Hozon to the more complex Dosatron
– Helping a plant in distress by foliar feeding extra nutrients
– Keep your plants healthy and free of stress to protect them from pests
– How to keep your drip lines from plugging up
– What is the advantage of compost tea over compost?
– How to tell if your plants are nutrient deficient
– Why your plants will love fertigation
– Adding fertigation to your existing plant care routine
Hear more from Scott in podcast episode 689: Scott Murray on Being a Farmer.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.