491: Jason Johns on Vertical Gardening.
Using the space above planters to the best advantage.
In This Podcast:
Sometimes it just doesn’t feel like we have enough space in our gardens! Returning guest, Jason Johns, shares his solution that increased the yield per square foot from his garden, different styles of vertical gardens, and design tips. He also recommends his favorite plants and how to customize the soil and watering schedule when you are planting upward. Listen in for details on how to win his newest book to help you start creating your own vertical garden. Don’t Miss an Episode!! Click HERE to sign up for regular podcast updates
Our Guest:Jason is the author of Vertical Gardening: A Complete Guide to Growing Food, Herbs, and Flowers in Small Spaces, as well as 17 other gardening books on everything from greenhouse gardening to growing giant pumpkins. Jason is passionate about gardening, having grown his own produce for over twenty years. He started with a second-hand greenhouse, an 8’ by 6’ patch of his mother’s garden, and far too many tomato plants.
Listen in and learn about:
- Jason’s updates on his garden activities that include growing herbs, encouraging bees, and vertical gardening
- A surprising medicinal use for bay leaves
- Vertical gardening and some of his favorite plants
- Ideas on how to create your vertical garden
- Pyramid planters, herb spirals, tower gardens and the increased yield you can get by planting upward
- Factors to consider when growing vertically
- Soil considerations for a vertical garden and each plant
- Adjusting what you grow for that year’s changing climate
- Tips for vertical garden design
- How Jason began writing about gardening and why he’s written 17 gardening books
- Pollinating tomatoes by shaking the plant
- Allotments and community gardens
As well as:
His Food Memory – An Anderson Shelter in his back yard where his parents grew mushrooms.
His advice – Bring pollinating insects into your garden to increase your crop yield.
Books Written by Jason*:
“Vertical Gardening: A Complete Guide to Growing Food, Herbs, and Flowers in Small Spaces”
How to reach Jason:
Website: www.gardeningwithjason.com and www.owninganallotment.com
This contest period is closed. We say “Thank You” to Jason Johns and BookPub Co Publishing for this offer.*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
I want to grow vertical!
This podcast is so informative, but beyond that, he is such an entertaining gentleman. I will relistennto his first podcast. Thank you!