590: Jeffery Smith on Genetically Modified Microbes.
Raising public awareness about gene editing.
In This Podcast:
After attending a lecture on GMO’s twenty-five years ago, Jeffrey Smith could not help but feel concerned about the future impacts of genetic engineering on ecosystems. Jeffrey speaks on the growing intensity of GMO contamination in all aspects of life and he advocates the importance of protecting the global microbiome. Jeffrey also points out that genetic engineering creates unpredictable changes in organisms and if not careful, can eliminate terrestrial plant life.
Jeffrey is a bestselling author, award-winning filmmaker and celebrated public speaker. He has influenced the behavior and health of millions of people worldwide through his books like Seeds of Deception, and Genetic Roulette, and his podcast Live Healthy Be Well. Jeffrey is the founding executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, which has started a global education campaign call Protect Nature Now with the first documentary titled “Don’t Let the Gene Out of the Bottle”.
Listen in and learn about:
- Where did Jeffrey first learn about GMO’s
- What was his first concern of GMO’s when he was introduced to the science
- Why is ‘gene editing’ considered the new and more volatile version of GMO’s
- What is the importance behind protecting the global microbiome
- “Thinking big is so last century…we need to start thinking HUGE!”
- What does Jeffrey mean when he says we must “lock down the release of gene-edited organisms”
- What kind of evidence was found in wild cotton growing in Mexico
- The EPA’S test project in Louisiana
- How does introducing unknown GMO microbes to our plants disrupt ecosystems
- What experiment was two weeks away from release that almost caused elimination of terrestrial life
- The long-term dangers behind altering bacteria
- How can genetic engineering alter weather patterns
- Grass-roots verses top-down approach to lobby against GMO’s
- The three classes of unknown surprise side effects from genetic engineering
- How you can help – Greg’s challenge for you to make a difference!
As well as:
His failure – When he spent time in California to assist in the passage of Prop 37 – requiring GMO labels on food items, and lost the campaign by a ‘shaving’
His success – Getting more than 50% of people to demand non-GMO foods
His drive – Saving human beings and life on this planet by being a ‘sustainable’ activist
His advice – “Right now is the most pivotal moment to make a commitment to something.”
Books written by Jeffrey:
Jeffrey’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Jeffrey:
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.