534: Catherine Crowley on Her Favorite Herbs.
Growing most anything you want to in a Desert Garden.
In This Podcast:
Herbs are a wonderful way to begin gardening and get a lot of bang for your buck! Catherine Crowley, or “The Herb Lady” as many people know her, shares some of her favorite, unique plants to grow and how she uses them. This episode will help you plan your garden like an experienced gardener. Catherine highlights her experiences and thoughts about sun orientation, plant height, light needs, and other considerations so your plants and herbs will thrive!
Catherine “The Herb Lady“, is an expert in edible landscaping in the desert, an author, and a lecturer. She has been gardening for over 3 decades, initially focusing on just culinary herbs. Then her garden journey expanded to growing anything she ate or drank as a base for experimenting with new-to-her and common edible herbs, vegetables, fruits, and flowers.
These days Catherine blogs and writes on gardening and cooking with the garden bounty she harvests from her garden and community.
Listen in and learn about:
- Saving money by growing herbs
- I’itoi onions
- Her most popular and unique items at farmers markets
- Preserving and fermenting Limequats
- Roselle Hibiscus calyx and how to use them
- Her most surprising garden success
- Flower mulching to combat hot temperatures
- Planting in pots in the desert
- Figuring out where plants will thrive in your yard
- Observing the sun orientation through the year and orienting your plants properly
- Considering plant height and light needs when planning your garden
- The essential herbs for a garden
As well as:
Her childhood memory – Family meals together on Sundays and her mother’s stories about growing up on a farm.
Her advice – Pay attention to the sun orientation and don’t forget to mulch!
Books written by Catherine*:
How to reach Catherine:
Facebook: Catherine, The Herb Lady and Herbs 2 U
*Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guest as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
If you would like to support our podcast and let us know you appreciate the work that we do, please consider a monthly or one-time donation!