481: Rivka Fidel on Biochar and Carbon Farming.
Building soil quality through carbon management.
In This Podcast:
Biochar can improve your soil and help the environment at the same time! We visited with Dr. Rivka Fidel from the University of Arizona to learn all about biochar and carbon farming. Listen in for how you can make it, use it, and the science behind adding it to your compost. She also shares about her journey into the field of sustainable agriculture, why it’s important for our future to create a carbon negative world, and highlights in carbon farming.
Don’t Miss an Episode!!
Click HERE to sign up for regular podcast updates
Dr. Rivka Fidel is currently an Assistant Professor of Practice at the Department Environmental Science, University of AZ, teaching introductory level classes in Soil Science and Critical Zone Science. She received her PhD in Soil Science from Iowa State University and her B.S. in Environmental Science from Union College. Her research is in soil carbon and nitrogen cycling, specifically examining the efficacy of biochar for improving soil quality and mitigating climate change.
Listen in and learn about:
- The book that opened Rivka’s eyes when she was a student in college
- Her journey to the field of sustainable agriculture
- Going carbon negative, how to do it, and why it’s important for our future
- Carbon farming using soil, buffer strips, and no till methods
- Biochar and it’s environmental benefits
- How to make and use biochar at home
- What materials to use when making biochar
- Safely adding biochar to compost and soil
- Where to learn more about biochar technologies and where to buy it
As well as:
Her failure – Taking a long time developing the proper method to test the effects of biochar on soil pH.
Her success – Creating the Iowa Bakken Pipeline Resistance Coalition.
Her drive – Social Injustice and a desire to help people and life that cannot help itself.
Her advice – Put down roots wherever you live and become active in your community
Rivka’s Book recommendations:
Links mentioned by Rivka:
Biochar video by my Iowa State U mentor, Dr. David Laird
A new book about biochar, Burn, using Fire to Cool the Earth
ArtiChar website where you can buy biochar or commission pyrolyzers from my friend Berni
How to reach Rivka: