443: Jason Johns on Growing Tomatoes
Growing delicious produce – in the garden, an allotment or in the greenhouse!
Jason is the author of Growing Tomatoes: Your Guide to Growing Delicious Tomatoes at Home, as well as 17 other self-published gardening books on everything from greenhouse gardening to growing giant pumpkins.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Jason is passionate about gardening, having grown his own produce for over twenty years. He started with a second-hand greenhouse, an 8’ by 6’ patch of his mother’s garden, and far too many tomato plants. After turning the greenhouse into a tomato farm, he was hooked at the taste of the first ripe tomato.
In This Podcast:
Jason Johns is the author of 18 books on gardening. Here, he shares everything anybody needs to know about growing tomatoes! From the ideal soil, varieties, conditions, and pruning you’ll be ready to plant amazing tomatoes. We also discussed common pests and what to do about them, as well as his first failure with tomatoes and what he learned from the experience. Jason plants something new each year. As a bonus, he also shared some of his other growing experiences!
Listen in and learn about:
- Finding your passion and identifying what job serves you
- Some of the first vegetables that Jason grew and what he learned
- The inspiration for some of the 18 gardening books he wrote
- Companion planting
- Growing something new every year
- Tomato growing and why he loves them
- The ideal soil for growing tomatoes
- All the different tomatoes you can grow and which to pick for your garden
- The best conditions for tomatoes to thrive
- How deep to plant tomatoes, what to do with side shoots, and how to focus their energy on the fruit
- Common pests that love tomato plants, and what to do about them
- Tomato blight and how to identify it
As well as:
His failure – His first experience with tomato plants had a small fruit yield because he didn’t know one of the important steps in growing them.
His success – Turning his small allotment into a thriving garden.
His drive – Being mindful and in the moment with nature and sharing his crops.
His advice – Give it a go, failure is feedback on how to do it right. Enjoy the process, and know results are not instant.
Jason’s Guest Post on our blog
How to Grow Tomatoes from Side Shoots – Available on May 6th
Books Written by Jason
Jason’s Book recommendations:
Unlimited Power : The New Science Of Personal Achievement by Anthony Robbins
How to reach Jason:
YouTube: Owning An Allotment
Special Sweepstakes Offer:
This contest is closed. We say “Thank You” to Jason and BookPubCo Publishing for this offer.
Thank you to LaCrosse Boots for sponsoring this episode
LaCrosse Boots – The go-to boots for big tasks!
To learn more about more about Growing Your Own Food
And to see the I’m an Urban Farmer line
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and have the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a small business.