299: Joy Stephenson-Laws on Nutrition with Fruits and Vegetables.
Identifying the nutrients that your body needs.
In both her personal and professional life, Joy is dedicated to enhancing consumer health and positively impacting the health care industry in the United States. She is the founding and managing partner of Stephenson, Acquisto & Colman, the health care industry’s premier litigation law firm. She is also the founder of Proactive Health Labs (www.phlabs.org), a national non-profit health information company that provides education and tools needed to achieve optimal health.
Joy just published her first book Minerals – The Forgotten Nutrient: Your Secret Weapon for Getting and Staying Healthy. Her passion for motivating people to proactively protect their health comes from her personal experience of losing loved ones, colleagues and friends to diseases which, had they been diagnosed early enough and treated more effectively, could either have been controlled or cured.
In This Podcast:
A pre-med organic chemistry class showed Joy Stephenson-Laws that she was not on the right path. She did not waste that pre-med education as she now fights for patients’ rights as a health care attorney. She also tells us why she started the non-profit health information company Proactive Health Labs to help people understand what is happening in their bodies with their nutrition. An often-overlooked aspect of nutrition is the minerals in the foods and she explains why this is an important part of getting and staying healthy.
Listen in and learn about:
- Why she did not just take what her doctors was telling her at face value and what she did instead
- How nutrition is so important to our lives
- The six basic nutrients we need to survive
- Why she wrote her book on minerals
- Minerals and Blood Pressure
- Why knowing which vegetables provide which minerals can benefit your health
- Blood tests that help provide mineral analysis
- The difference that age makes with our mineral absorption
- The types of testing that is available at phLabs and what they can show
- How to address some of the nutrition needs that we have as we age
As well as:
- Her failure – Focusing on pre-med until she got to the organic chemistry, and not achieving what she had set out to do
- Her success – Completing her education in a timely manner
- Her drive – Making a difference in people’s lives and being happy doing it
- Her advice – I don’t control what happens in the future, so I do my best at what I am doing and things will take care of themselves
Books written by Joy:
Joy’s Book recommendations:
Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
How to reach Joy: