634: Erik Diedrichsen on Developing a New Poultry Feeder.
Turning homesteading skills into a new business venture.
In This Podcast:
Anyone who has ever had chickens knows that feeding poultry is a messy business. Erik Diedrichsen found a better way, and in the process, he found his way into a new business venture. Erik shares his experience of growing a product from idea to market and explains what he believes it takes to be a successful inventor. Hear about the challenges he faced and the lessons he learned, and of course get the scoop on what Erik and Greg call the “best chicken feeder on the market”.
Don’t Miss an Episode!!
Click HERE to visit the Urban Farm Podcast library
Erik lost his main trade show business due to Covid. He turned to the skills he knew as a part-time homesteader and designed, patented, and produced the “best chicken feeder on the market” and started his new business PoultryProFeeder.com. Aside from wanting to provide a proven superior product, Erik is using the opportunity to learn the business process.
Listen in and learn about:
- Experimenting with DIY gravity feeders
- Problems with standard feeders
- Starting with doodles on a piece of paper
- How the Poultry Pro feeder works
- Super easy installation process
- What makes PoultryPro different from other feeders
- Reactions of the chickens
- Eliminating wasted feed
- Feeding your chickens for 2 months at a time
- Challenges of taking a product from idea to market
- A small piece of what is necessary for success
- Erik compares the process of developing a product to…
- A good problem to have
- The results Erik saw when he stopped “selling”
- An AHA moment: All stress is being worried about the future based on the past.
As well as:
His failure – Opening an antique shop, years ago, and finding out it wasn’t what he expected and that he didn’t like it
His success – Being in the military and being a dad
His drive – Being present in the moment
His advice – “Action is power.”
Erik’s Book recommendation:
The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire by David Deida
How to reach Erik:
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.