324: Jessica Walliser on Container Gardening.
Making the most of small spaces for gardens.
Our Returning guest Horticulturist Jessica co-hosts The Organic Gardeners, an award-winning program on KDKA Radio in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of The American Horticultural Society.
In addition. she is also the author of several gardening books including the Amazon best-seller Good Bug, Bad Bug: Who’s Who, What They Do, and How to Manage Them Organically, and her fourth book, Attracting Beneficial Bugs to the Garden: A Natural Approach to Pest Control, which was awarded the American Horticultural Society’s 2014 Book Award.
In This Podcast:
Returning guest Jessica Walliser opens our eyes and minds to working in small spaces with container gardens. She worked hard to make a comprehensive book with important steps and key details for those who wish to make a container work for growing their vegetables, fruits and flowers too. And we get a few ideas for containers too.
Listen in and learn about:
- Her container gardening book that was different from the rest on the market
- The long process to getting a book published
- Three pillars of successful container gardening
- Don’t skimp on the potting mix that you use!
- The How-To section that will help with container gardening
- Supporting pollinators
- The benefits of using fabric containers
- Her recommendation for container vegetables
- Her EPIC A-ha moment looking for varieties
- Fruit tree ideas and important things to consider when putting multiple things in one container
- The relationship with bugs and how to deal with them
- The importance of soil health and the web of life
- Organic fertilizers and how to make the change
- A Troubleshooting guide in her book
- Camera selection
How to reach Jessica:
Facebook: Jessica Walliser
Twitter/Instagram: Jessica Walliser