Bonus Episode 9: Seed Chat September 2017.
A chat with an expert on Seeds, Bill McDorman.
In This BONUS Podcast:There is always a bounty of information available in conversations with Bill McDorman. This is the September 2017 episode with a Seed School Chat Class continuing the conversation on Seed Saving Principles, Intellectual Property rights, Seed Saving policy history, and so much more. Bill McDorman is Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Seed Alliance, Ketchum, Idaho. He got his start in the bio-regional seed movement while in college in 1979 when he helped start Garden City Seeds. In 1984, Bill started Seeds Trust/High Altitude Gardens, a mail order seed company he ran successfully until it sold in 2013.
– Bringing the Permaculture Principles to Seed School
– Reviewing the principles of Seed Saving
– Intellectual Property rights and Plant breeding
– Seed breeding goals changes over time
– Carrying capacity
– Why fermentation is useful with collected seeds
– The Plant Variety Protection Act (PVP) and what it means
– What you can do with PVP seeds
– An Important point to remember whenever you buy seeds
– A shout out about the Great American Seed up in Phoenix
– Best ways to store seeds
– Cross pollination – for small scale farmers
– Internships for seed saving
– De-hybridizing seeds
Here is the link to the FREE webinar on Seed Saving Hacked at IWantToSaveSeeds.com.