455: Devon Young on Medicinal Remedies.
Creating healing tonics from common and locally foraged plants.
Devon, founder of the holistic lifestyle blog Nitty Gritty Life, is a trained herbalist and is well practiced in developing and implementing herbal remedies. She has a degree in Complementary and Alternative Medicine from The American College of Healthcare Sciences, and is the author of THE BACKYARD HERBAL APOTHECARY.
In This Podcast:
Growing up in a plant based family and then struggling with health concerns it felt natural for Devon Young to turn to herbals remedies for wellness and relief. When she started noticing results, she focused on helping others as expanded her knowledge through studies and training. She shares some key details about how to make typical remedies and why her new book is jam packed with details on 50 North American herbs.
Listen in and learn about:
- Comes from a large family based in Oregon and very “planted based”
- Early years in the cosmetics industry
- Struggling with health concerns and not finding wellness
- Turning to herbs to get relief
- How she got focused on medicinal herbs
- Finding that the information she wanted on herbs was not easily found
- More about chickweed and its edible and medicinal qualities
- Why she chose the 50 plants for the book
- Several of her absolute favorite plants to grow with medicinal properties
- Her favorite medicinal plants to forage
- More about stinging nettles and cottonwood harvesting
- Her philosophy on sustainable foraging
- How she dealt with adrenal fatigue and her allergies and is finding wellness
- Her favorite herbal remedy is elderberry tincture
- Watch to look out for in cosmetics and how to find better versions of products
- The difference is between tinctures and extracts
- Japanese knot-weed as an herb useful for Lyme disease symptoms
- NittyGrittyLife.com and her focus on herbs on her blog
As well as:
Her failure – her tendency to go overboard and take on too many projects of use too many herbs
Her success – having a platform to reach people who want to learn more
Her drive – to provide people with information and arm them to make decisions for their own family’s wellness
Her advice – take it slow and trust your intuition
Books written by Devon
Devon’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Devon:
This contest is closed and we are no longer collecting responses. We say “Thank You” to both Devon and Page Street Publishing for this offer.
Special thanks to our sponsors:gemplers.com/urbanfarm
(use code URBANFARM01)
The go-to boots for big tasks!
To learn more about Growing Your Own Food