455: Devon Young on Medicinal Remedies.
Creating healing tonics from common and locally foraged plants.
Devon, founder of the holistic lifestyle blog Nitty Gritty Life, is a trained herbalist and is well practiced in developing and implementing herbal remedies. She has a degree in Complementary and Alternative Medicine from The American College of Healthcare Sciences, and is the author of THE BACKYARD HERBAL APOTHECARY.
In This Podcast:
Growing up in a plant based family and then struggling with health concerns it felt natural for Devon Young to turn to herbals remedies for wellness and relief. When she started noticing results, she focused on helping others as expanded her knowledge through studies and training. She shares some key details about how to make typical remedies and why her new book is jam packed with details on 50 North American herbs.
Listen in and learn about:
- Comes from a large family based in Oregon and very “planted based”
- Early years in the cosmetics industry
- Struggling with health concerns and not finding wellness
- Turning to herbs to get relief
- How she got focused on medicinal herbs
- Finding that the information she wanted on herbs was not easily found
- More about chickweed and its edible and medicinal qualities
- Why she chose the 50 plants for the book
- Several of her absolute favorite plants to grow with medicinal properties
- Her favorite medicinal plants to forage
- More about stinging nettles and cottonwood harvesting
- Her philosophy on sustainable foraging
- How she dealt with adrenal fatigue and her allergies and is finding wellness
- Her favorite herbal remedy is elderberry tincture
- Watch to look out for in cosmetics and how to find better versions of products
- The difference is between tinctures and extracts
- Japanese knot-weed as an herb useful for Lyme disease symptoms
- NittyGrittyLife.com and her focus on herbs on her blog
As well as:
Her failure – her tendency to go overboard and take on too many projects of use too many herbs
Her success – having a platform to reach people who want to learn more
Her drive – to provide people with information and arm them to make decisions for their own family’s wellness
Her advice – take it slow and trust your intuition
Books written by Devon
The Backyard Herbal Apothecary: Effective Medicinal Remedies Using Commonly Found Herbs & Plants
Devon’s Book recommendations:
The Earthwise Herbal Repertory: The Definitive Practitioner’s Guide by Matthew Wood
How to reach Devon:
Facebook: @Nitty Gritty Life Holistic and Sustainable Living
This contest is closed and we are no longer collecting responses. We say “Thank You” to both Devon and Page Street Publishing for this offer.
Special thanks to our sponsors:gemplers.com/urbanfarm (use code URBANFARM01)
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
They say you can take the girl out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl. When I moved back to the Phoenix Valley five years ago, from a very rural area, I had to relearn my gardening. With so little information in the Phoenix Valley on growing your own food for our climate, your webinars, classes and other information have made such a difference it keeping me sane in the city. Thanks for sharing and inspiring others.