428: Chad Chase on Urban Farming as a Business.
Building an urban farm dream.
Chad Chase is the co-owner of Urban Grounds Coffee Company, a full-service coffee shop on wheels, sourcing ethical, natural, local and wholesome products and ingredients. He is also a co-owner operator of Arrandale Farms, a two-acre farm in NW Phoenix that focuses on various fruit trees, field crops and chicken eggs. They currently sell farm fresh eggs at the Phoenix Public Market and the Ahwatukee Farmers Market, and in the coming months will be adding fresh fruit and vegetables as well.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Chad has a Certificate of Entrepreneurship from Kirkwood Community College in Iowa, an Advanced Diploma in Mortuary Science from Des Moines Community College, and a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration from Northern Arizona University.
In This Podcast:
We are joined by Chad Chase, co-owner of Arrandale Farms and Urban Grounds Coffee Company. Chad has built his 2.5-acre farm from scratch, and now farms fruit trees, field crops, alpacas, and chickens. Listen in to hear how he’s building his urban farm dream and how he hopes to impact his community in the future!
Listen in and learn about:
- How he got his start in farming
- His long-term goal to help kids in the community
- Raising alpacas, goats, and chickens
- Building community as you farm
- Living in Sunburst Farms
- Getting into selling at Farmer’s Markets
- Planting field crops
- Urban Grounds Coffee Company
- Hen laying production cycles
- What the future holds for Arrandale Farms and how they named it
- How to properly wash eggs
As well as:
- His failure – Putting faith in the wrong person instead of vetting employees.
- His success – Going where they haven’t gone before and navigating challenges.
- His drive – To make a health and food difference in his community.
- His advice – Just do it, there’s no shame in not knowing or failing.
Chase’s Book recommendations:
Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service by Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles
How to reach Chase:
Facebook: Arrandale Farms
To learn more about more about Growing Your Own Food
And to see the I’m an Urban Farmer line
Note: You can also find these books mentioned above at one of our favorite local independent bookstores and have the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a small business.