242: Laura Kelly on Healthy Bones through Whole Foods.
Combating nutritional deficiencies and fighting off diseases through whole and natural foods.
– – – –Dr. Laura practices medicine based on principles of nature, using nutrients and natural medicines. This approach to primary care combines functional medicine, traditional Chinese medicine, and tools of Western medicine to build a complete picture of the body – and a plan for how to guide and assist in its return to health.
She consults with patients in multiple countries and is based in Topanga, California. Her first book is The Healthy Bones Nutrition Plan and Cookbook, Published by Chelsea Green which she co-wrote with her mother Helen Bryman Kelly.
In This Podcast:
Sometimes it is fighting for the health of a family member that prompts an understanding which in turn helps many other people. In this conversation, Dr. Laura Kelly explains why she turned her attention to bone health, and what she found when looking for underlying causes to bone density loss. Then as she was not content to just helping others understand bone health, she determined to help people take action to help themselves.
Listen in and learn about:
- Her training as an artist and deciding to find a new focus
- Her interest in medicine and why she went with a Taoist approach rather than western medicine
- How her studies are not just about the body but also, the system we live in
- What osteoporosis is and how it affects women
- How the body reacts to daily wear and tear and what it needs
- Why she feels “natural food” needs to be re-claimed and better understood
- How milk is ready to be processed naturally by the body
- How some food products are chemically changed and damaging molecules are created
- How co-factors and enzymes are only part of the digestion process
- What part bacteria plays in the process and why that is important
- Why the ratio of bacteria density that is being determined to affect body health
- Bone health and why it was such an important subject to her
- Proper nutrition for bones and proper nutrition for the whole body
- How she zeroed in on nutrition as a solution for bone loss
- The flexibility factor that she is focusing on now – a factor that is commonly ignored in diagnoses
- The way to absorb calcium, and building a collagen scaffold
- What she learned from a fracture map
- How more than 50% of Americans have a chronic condition and how most of these conditions are dietary deficiencies
- Helping her patients understand the process to prevention and in some cases cure diseases from these deficiencies
- The first half of her book is basic lay-science to help with understanding bone health and processes
- The second half of the book offers useful recipes to act on the knowledge from the first part
- The bone vinegar that she considers her favorite recipe
- What a “shrub” drink is and how that is beneficial
As well as:
- Her failure – failing to grow cilantro and not knowing why; learning to accept failures as a doctor
- Her success – every patient, every time a patient that comes in to say thank you
- Her drive – her ability to help people, and translate information in a way to help people understand, and a feeling of responsibility to do that
- Her advice – Even if you are eating 100% organic, many people are deficient – so she encourages people to take a nutrition evaluation to determine their own levels; then learn about your nutritional genetics and how you process nutrients
Books written by Laura:
The Healthy Bones Nutrition Plan and Cookbook, Published by Chelsea Green
Laura’s Book recommendations:
The Body Electric: Electromagnetism And The Foundation Of Life by Robert Becker
How to reach Laura:
For more information on the evaluations she mentions go to: Nutrinomica.com