106: Jessica Piper on Jarden’s Can-It-Forward Day
Jessica is a home canning expert and has worked for Jarden Home Brands for over 11.5 years. She currently is an Analytics Specialist (or Home Canning Expert) in Consumer Affairs and a certified process engineer through the USDA. Being a life-long resident in Muncie, Indiana, Jessica has a strong affinity toward the Ball brand & its heritage in her community.
Now in its 6th year, Can-It-Forward Day has a “Facebook Live! Event” taking place on Friday, July 22nd from 10AM – 3:30PM ET. Jarden Home Brands, will host a series of live, unique recipe demos taking place in kitchens across the country.
Listen in and learn about
- How she came to have the career she never expected
- What a Home Canning Expert is and how to reach them
- The history and purpose of the Can-It-Forward Day program
- What to expect this year with the program
- How to get your canning questions answered live
- What resources you need to have for successful canning
- An important note for you if you have a glass top stove!
- The difference between the water bath and pressure methods
- and why you don’t use a pressure cooker for your canning
- some safety tips
- Her number one rule for canning
- Some recommended websites for recipes
- Her personal recipe recommendations
- Long term storage – why 1 year is the recommended time
- Why the experts at Bell get a kick out of the “canning 101” type phone calls
- The history of the Ball Brothers company, and how they got started in Muncie, In. as well as some of the other companies connected to the Ball Corporation companies.
- Why the older Blue Books are
- The Facebook Live! Event on July 22
As well as:
- Her greatest failure – her story of a canning gone wrong
- Her biggest success – what happened when she got to be on the QVC show
- What drives her
- Her advice for canners everywhere
How you can reach Jessica:
Canning call center: 1 (800)-240-3340 M-F 8:30am-4:30pm EST
Facebook – Ball Canning and Recipes
You tube: Ball Canning