Everyday Sourdough Bread
by Guest blogger: Conni Cisek
This is the handout for the Sourdough Class we gave in our 30 Days Gardening Classes.
50g active levain
350g room temperature water
500g King Arthur organic bread flour
9g sea salt
- Mix levain and water together in a large bowl. Add flour and salt. Mix until flour is fully incorporated. The dough will be sticky. Cover with a damp towel and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Stretch and fold dough to form a fairly smooth ball
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise until dough has doubled about 10 hours
- Shape dough and place in an oiled loaf pan. Cover with foil and place in fridge
- Preheat oven to 450°. Remove bread from the fridge while the oven preheats.
- Place loaf pan in the oven, still covered with foil
- Bake 20 minutes then remove foil. Continue to bake 20 more minutes
- Take a look at your beautiful bread and if the bread is a nice dark brown, take it out. If not bake another 5-10 minutes.
- Let it cool completely. If you just want to eat a warm piece of bread, wait at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- 7 am-mix levain
- 5 pm-mix dough
- 5:20 pm-stretch and fold
- 5:30-9 pm-bulk rise
- 9 pm-shape
- 9:15 pm-7 am (up to 6 pm)-proof
- 7 am-bake
About this author:
Conni has a master’s degree in education and is a functional nutritionist. She has had the incredible opportunity to study the art of sourdough under world class bakers such as Craig Ponsford and Guy Frenkel as well as attend The Sourdough School in the UK. Before moving to Arizona, she ran a micro bakery which specialized in long fermented whole grain sourdough breads.