353: Homestead Phil and Jenn Tompkins on Chickens for Eggs.
Bringing a simple food source closer to the table.
Homestead Phil & Jenn are the co-founders of Rent The Chicken. This rapidly growing chicken rental service started in 2013 as a part-time avenue of supplemental income and has grown to have more than 45 farmers and homesteaders renting chickens as an extension of their farms in the United States and Canada.
Don’t miss an episode!
Click here to sign up for podcast updates
Rent The Chicken is more than just a bunch of farmers and homesteaders building chicken coops and delivering chickens. Homestead Phil & Jenn are dedicated to being your chicken friends, helping to change local jurisdictions to allow backyard hens, and bringing one step of sustainable agriculture through fresh eggs closer to your table.
In This Podcast:
After moving to a rural life, and googling crazy business ideas, Phil and Jenn Tompkins started a business helping people rent their chickens. This idea has taken off greatly and now as Homestead Phil and Jenn they help others start their own business with a supportive affiliate process. They are eggscited to share their enthusiasm and some awesome stories!
Listen in and learn about:
- Transitioning from the city life to the rural life
- Googling ‘crazy business ideas’
- Their first attempts to GIVE the chickens away
- The wildfire spread of publicity
- Helping affiliates open their own Rent The Chicken businesses
- Why someone would rent a chicken in the first place
- Who they thought their renters were going to be and the unexpected reality
- How the rental process works and what a renter can expect
- Renting the opportunity to hatch chicks
- Helping the seniors bring back special memories
- Coming soon – Hatch the Duck
- A special moment with an autistic boy who experienced his first time a chicken laid an egg
As well as:
- Their failure – the lack of vision they had was too limited
- Their success – The affiliate program that started with a 15-year-old kid, and their marriage of course!
- Their drive – Helping to change the perspective on local food sources
- Their advice – Be purposeful, do what you love, and keep a balance between work and life
Homestead Phil and Jenn’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Homestead Phil and Jenn:
Facebook: Rent The Chicken
This episode was sponsored by The Seed Bank Box.Click HERE to support our show and learn more.