275: Gianaclis Caldwell on Cheesemaking Basics.
Covering some basic questions about making cheese at home.
Gianaclis is the main cheese-maker, milker and owner of Pholia Farm, a licensed dairy located on 24 acres in southern Oregon. Her farm is well known for its artisan, aged raw milk cheeses; as well as classes on small-dairy, goat husbandry, and cheese-making at all levels.
Her book, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking by Chelsea Green Publishing, has received praise and awards from all levels of the cheese world for her writing and photography.
Don’t miss an episode! Click here to sign up for weekly podcast updates
In This Podcast:
Having a small dairy farm is very helpful if you are going to make cheese at home, and Gianaclis Caldwell shares some of the truths she collected as she learned to make her own cheeses. She helps explain some of the differences between common cheeses as well as how slight changes in the process can change the resulting cheese.
Listen in and learn about:
- Why she became interested in making cheese
- Choosing between a goat and a cow
- Finding out how fun it was
- What kind of milks make cheese
- The kinds of cheese can be made
- Her tutorial that helps make it so easy you won’t need a recipe
- Complex recipes that she recommends beginners try later
- How to start with new cheese making skills
- Grocery store milk can be used for cheese
- Working with cream to make mascarpone cheese
- Making panier with a thicker result
- Working out the differences that happen with slight changes
- Making cheese from lactose free milk
- A special story about a cheese making friend in Argentina
Books written by Gianaclis:
Mastering Basic Cheesemaking: The Fun and Fundamentals of Making Cheese at Home
Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking: The Ultimate Guide for Home-Scale and Market Producers
The Small-Scale Dairy: The Complete Guide to Milk Production for the Home and Market
The Small-Scale Cheese Business: The Complete Guide to Running a Successful Farmstead Creamery
Holistic Goat Care: A Comprehensive Guide to Raising Healthy Animals, Preventing Common Ailments, and Troubleshooting Problems
How to reach Gianaclis:
Websites: PholiaFarm.com and GianaclisCaldwell.com
Gianaclis’s first podcast:
255: Gianaclis Caldwell on Holistic Goat Care