261: Brigitte Mars on Natural First Aid.
Preparing a resource for quick response to emergency incidents with simple and natural ingredients.
Brigitte is an herbalist and nutritional consultant of Natural Health with almost fifty years of experience. She teaches Herbal Medicine at Naropa University, and The School of Health Mastery in Iceland and has taught at Esalen, Kripalu, the Arise Festival and Mayo Clinic.
Brigitte is the author of more than a dozen books and DVDs, including – The Home Reference to Holistic Health and Healing, The Country Almanac of Home Remedies, and her most recent book through Storey Publishing called Natural First Aid. She also created a wild plant reference app called iPlant.
In This Podcast:
She knew that she wanted to avoid needing doctors ever since she was very young. So, Brigitte Mars has spent her entire life learning about and using natural herbs, plants, and oils for health and the prevention and treatment of minor ails. She shares with us the essentials of a good first aid kit and several examples of first aid remedies.
Listen in and learn about:
- Wanting to be an herbalist from a very young age
- Living in a teepee for more than 2 years
- Learning which plants are safe
- iPlant – her mobile app for identifying plants
Producers note – stay tuned for another episode in a few weeks with more information about iPlant
- Creating a first aid kit from natural ingredients
- Preparing in advance
- Key items for personal first aid kit
- Essential oil soap with tea tree or lavender oil
- Three essential oils – tee tree, lavender, and peppermint oil with their applications
- Charcoal capsules
- Baking soda and Celtic salt
- Water purification and mosquito netting
- Cayenne pepper, Echinacea tincture
- Garlic capsules
- Catnip and a caution
- Mother’s cautions that still hold true today
- Taking a little bit of care to prevent accidents
- When it is obvious to seek professional attention
- Losing touch with natural methods
- Several remedies for a bee sting
As well as:
- Her failure – The time she did not know how to help her young daughter Rainbeau recover from an asthma attack
- Her success – Dealing with the time she got bit by a cottonmouth snake and was 3 hours from a hospital
- Her drive – To make a positive impact on the planet, and doing good for the people and the planet; to feed two birds with one hand
- Her advice – Learn to eat the weeds
Some of the Books written by Brigitte:
Brigitte’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Brigitte: