224: Lisa Steele on Gardening with Chickens.
Incorporating chickens into the gardening process as willing workers.
– – – –
Lisa is a 5th-generation chicken keeper, nationally recognized author and the creative mind behind the Better Homes & Gardens award-winning blog – Fresh Eggs Daily. Lisa inspires both the newcomer as well as the seasoned chicken keeper and engages almost a million fans worldwide on her Facebook page of the same name with her easy, fun, and accessible approach to raising backyard flocks naturally.
The author of three top-selling books, Lisa’s writing can also been found in such publications as Chickens, Backyard Poultry, the Farmers Almanac, and Hobby Farm as well as at HGTVGardens.com. She’s been featured in American Farmhouse Style, Down East and Cottage Journal magazines plus has appeared on numerous national radio and television programs and most recently is hosting her own 30-minute “chicken lifestyle” television show called Fresh Eggs Daily with Lisa Steele which airs on the local CW affiliate in Portland Maine.
In This Podcast: We connect again with Lisa Steele to get some great suggestions on how to bring the chickens out of the coop and into the garden. She explains how these feathered friends can do even more to earn their keep and become true gardening partners.
Listen in and learn about:
- How the idea for her latest book about chickens came about
- Some of the benefits of having chickens in the garden
- Some planning tips for when to allow chickens to roam free in the garden area
- Why she allows toads to remain
- Why her latest book is more about gardening and not just about raising chickens
- What a chicken chunnel is and how that is helpful in the garden
- Some ways that she protects her chickens from predators
- Herbs and plants that are beneficial for their chickens
- Lawn plants that chickens will like
- Natural de-wormer plants to help keep chickens healthy
- Probiotics to assist with the digestive health of the chickens
- Composting with the help of chickens
- Poop tea – yep, you need to hear this
- Feeding suggestion ideas and some tips to increase the nutrients they are eating
Books written by Lisa:
Lisa’s Other Podcast:
How to reach Lisa:
Facebook: Fresh Eggs Daily