Jodi Torpey on Blue Ribbon Vegetables
Growing vegetables worthy of entering competitions.
– – – –
Jodi Torpey is an award-winning vegetable gardener, craftsy gardening instructor, and the founder and editor-in-chief of WesternGardeners.com. In addition to the two books she authored, her garden writing also appears in digital and print media. Since 2010 she’s organized the annual Plant a Row for the Hungry campaign in Denver, Colorado.
In this podcast: Jodi has a lot of great advice on how and why to start growing vegetables for competition purposes. Listen in to our “biggest” podcast ever and find out why we say that.
- Participating in a National Plant a Row campaign and how she brought it to her community.
- Why we should try to win prizes for our homegrown fruits and vegetables.
- How to interject new life into your garden.
- Preparing for bringing entries to your local county fair.
- Advice for first time competitors in the fruit and vegetable categories.
Some words of wisdom from Jodi:
“If you’re not killing vegetables you’re not really gardening.”
Her best advice is to 1) eat your vegetables and 2) jump in and get started!