97: Jodi Torpey on Blue Ribbon Vegetables
Growing vegetables worthy of entering competitions.
– – – –
Jodi Torpey is an award-winning vegetable gardener, craftsy gardening instructor, and the founder and editor-in-chief of WesternGardeners.com. In addition to the two books she authored, her garden writing also appears in digital and print media. Since 2010 she’s organized the annual Plant a Row for the Hungry campaign in Denver, Colorado.
In this podcast: Jodi has a lot of great advice on how and why to start growing vegetables for competition purposes. Listen in to our “biggest” podcast ever and find out why we say that.
You will also learn about …
- Participating in a National Plant a Row campaign and how she brought it to her community.
- Why we should try to win prizes for our homegrown fruits and vegetables.
- How to interject new life into your garden.
- Preparing for bringing entries to your local county fair.
- Advice for first time competitors in the fruit and vegetable categories.
Some words of wisdom from Jodi:
“If you’re not killing vegetables you’re not really gardening.”
Her best advice is to 1) eat your vegetables and 2) jump in and get started!
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.