Bonus Episode 11:
Seed Chat, October 2017.
A chat with an expert on Seeds, Bill McDorman.
In This BONUS Podcast:
There is always a bounty of information available in conversations with Bill McDorman. This is the October 2017 episode with a Seed School Chat Class – continuing the conversation with some motivational quotes, adjusting for new weather norms, coming back from gardening disasters, and so much more.
Bill McDorman is Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Seed Alliance, Ketchum, Idaho. He got his start in the bio-regional seed movement while in college in 1979 when he helped start Garden City Seeds. In 1984, Bill started Seeds Trust/High Altitude Gardens, a mail order seed company he ran successfully until it sold in 2013.
– A conversation about great motivation quotes
“Every respectable farmer should be able to take the summer off” — Elliot Coleman
– An update on Seed School
– Grain School
– Arcosanti Convergence: Podcast 301
– Mansanobu Fukuoka’s One Straw Revolution and how this motivates Bill
“I used to think that top environmental problems were biodiversity loss, ecosystem collapse and climate change. I thought that thirty years of good science could address these problems. I was wrong. The top environmental problems are selfishness, greed and apathy, and to deal with these we need a cultural and spiritual transformation. And we scientists don’t know how to do that.” — Gus Speth
– Discussing why people make changes in their lives
“The pain pushes, ’till the vision pulls” — Michael Beckwith
– Greg’s Goal to be the person on the planet responsible for transforming the the global food system
“If your life’s work can be accomplished in your lifetime. you’re not thinking big enough” — Wes Jackson
– Why naming your farm is important
Producer’s note: Q&A session occurs during the live Seed Chats
– The story of the Lykov’s
– The Sonoran White Wheat story
– Harvesting from the plants you are growing for seed
– Adjusting for weather changes for Winter and Spring
– Experimenting for new weather norms including new planting times and new varieties
– Hybrid seeds versus heirloom seeds
– Coining back from gardening disasters
– The new Deppe-lote corn
– Storing seeds in the freezer
– DO NOT VACUUM PACK seeds
– When you learn how to do this, nobody can take that away from you