167: Kristin Nikodemski on the Dirt on Dirt
Encouraging growth in the community of organic gardeners.
As the Product Marketing Manager for Arborjet and The Dirt on Dirt, Kristin divides her time between marketing, supporting, and developing products for the horticulture industry. From her early days helping her father in the yard, working for garden centers, and professionally managing consumer garden brands since 2010, Kristin brings a wealth of experience.
In her free time, Kristin is an avid indoor & outdoor gardener, artist, and foodie. She is a graduate of Salve Regina University.
In this podcast:
Greg learns more about some organic gardening resources from Kristin who tells her story of how she joined a sustainability focused horticulture company. Kristin has found a way to blend her love of gardening with a care of community by helping create the Dirt on Dirt community. She also helps explain some of the Arborjet products and why they work.
Listen in and learn about:
- What it was like growing up and learning about trees and plants
- How her family set the groundwork to help her appreciate organically grown food and eating fresh from the garden
- Her return to gardening and growing her own food
- Her favorite memory of gardening as a child
- Why she is not in a rush to weed too early
- What the weather is like in her area
- How she adjusted her watering for the low rainfall
- What The Dirt on Dirt community is and how it started
- What surprised her when they started researching who was gardening
- How they tailor their topics
- Some of the resources in the Dirt on Dirt community and what they are encouraging
- How the name came about and why talking about dirt is so important
- What some of the components are to dirt and why they are important
- What GIY and GYO terms are and what is Arbojet offering to help
- How Neem oil is helping gardeners and why AzaSol is different
- Some of the benefits of Neem and why azadirachtin is important in your pest control products
- Eco-Mite Plus, what it does and what it is made from and why being able to read the ingredients helps
- Eco-PM, and how this works for powdery mildew on plants
- Succession planting and what that means
- ARBORChar, and the importance of helping the soil work better
- NutriRoot a soil additive with kelp which helps roots grow
As well as:
- Her failure – how sometimes she does not start small and sometimes needs to slow down
- Her success – the time she had an art gallery to her success and could do her own thing
- Her drive – progress and being able to stand back and see what she accomplished
- Her advice – “Healthy soil means healthy happy plants.”
How to reach Kristin and get the products she described:
Website: thedirtondirt.com (PromoCode Urban10 gets you 10% off your first purchase!)
Pinterest: The Dirt on Dirt – Organic Gardening
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.