102: Beth Terry on Living and Gardening without Plastic.
After learning about the devastating effects of plastic pollution on the environment and human health, Oakland accountant Beth Terry began an experiment to see if she could live without buying any new plastic. Since then, she has reduced her plastic waste to less than 2% of the national average. That experiment turned into the popular blog MyPlasticFreeLife.com and new book Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too. A founding member of the Plastic Pollution Coalition, Beth gives presentations on plastic-free living and why, despite what some critics assert, our personal actions really do make a difference. Her work and life have been profiled in the award-winning film Bag It, as well as Susan Freinkel’s book, Plastic: A Toxic Love Story and Captain Charles Moore’s Plastic Ocean.
Listen and learn about:
- What motivated her to make such a drastic change in her life
- How long she has been able to maintain her life without plastic
- How her career as an accountant actually helped her in this path
- How she removed all plastic packaging from her garden activities.
- Some tips on how to adjust to a life without plastic including:
- Taking it step by step
- Storing items in the fridge and freezer
- Buying cheese without the plastic wraps
- Other tips we can use to “de-plastic” our gardens
- How she converted her blog into a guidebook for others, and what she included in her book including:
- Why recycling is important but not the solution to the plastic problem and lots of shopping tips
- What we need in the world to help with the plastic problem
- Some important facts about the laws in effect on toxic chemicals in the U.S.
- Where to find a plastic audit worksheet
As well as:
- Her TWO biggest successes – You won’t believe the first one, and the second one is her proudest accomplishment
- What drives her
- And her one piece of advice for all the podcast listeners
Book and Movie
Plastic: A Toxic Love Story by Susan Freinkle
Plastic Ocean: How a Sea Captain’s Chance Discovery Launched a Determined Quest to Save the Oceans by Captain Charles Moore
Bag it (film)
No Impact Man (Movie)
How you can get in touch with Beth:
Facebook: Beth Terry
For more information about Gardening Without Plastic visit her blog at:
Part 1: Gardening without Plastic – Part 1
Part 2: Gardening without Plastic – Part 2: Planting and Replanting
Part 3: Gardening without Plastic – Part 3: Mulching and Watering
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.