644: Planting in the Right Season.
A Garden Chat with Christy Wilhelmi.
On the last Tuesday every month we host The Urban Farm Garden Chats where Greg Peterson has a relaxed conversation in a Zoom room with a special guest to cover useful gardening topics, and they answer questions from the live listening audience. To join us for the next event, go to www.GardenChat.org or
Click HERE to register for the Monthly Garden Chat with Live Q&A
In This Garden Chat:
You’ll enjoy Christy Wilhelmi’s contagious enthusiasm for the cooler planting seasons as she explains how to increase your chance of success by planting the right crop in the right season. Christy covers it all, from the basics of what “in season” actually means, to the specifics of which crops do well in cooler temperatures. Hear why fall is her favorite season and learn some clever tips and tricks for getting the most out of this underappreciated time of the year.
Christy Wilhelmi is founder of Gardenerd, the ultimate resource for garden nerds, where she publishes newsletters, her popular blog, top-ranked podcasts, and YouTube videos. She also specializes in small-space, organic vegetable garden design, consulting, and classes. She is author of Gardening for Geeks (Fox Chapel Publishing), 400+ Tips for Organic Gardening Success (Amazon Digital), Grow Your Own Mini Fruit Garden published by our friends at Cool Springs Press, and her upcoming novel Garden Variety (William Morrow/Harper Collins) will be sprouting in April 2022.
– Tomatoes & cucumbers are not on Christy’s fall planting list.
– Why Christy enjoys the fall gardening season so much
– What does “in season” mean?
– Plant name and seed availability are not reliable indicators of planting season.
– Get the right planting calendar.
– Bagrada bugs – avoid them by growing in cooler weather
– Greg’s planting calendar for the low Arizona desert at plantingcalendar.org
– Extend the growing season by starting seeds indoors.
– Soil temperature is important for seed germination.
– Tips for fall planting
– Kohlrabi – the “alien” vegetable
– Protecting your plants when planting from seed
– Thousand Head Kale
– Avoiding the use of sprays
– Handling the recent pest explosion
– Reducing the bagrada bug population – a clever trick
– Planting peas – the why and the how
– The importance of cover crops
– Add a carpet knife to your garden toolbox. (yes! A carpet knife)
– Where to get supplies
– Which crops are on Christy’s fall planting list?
– Christy’s upcoming novel, Garden Variety
Books written by Christy:
Garden Variety coming in April 2022
How to reach Christy:
Check out Christy’s other Urban Farm Podcast episodes.
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.