630: Small Space – Big Potential.
A Garden Chat with Niki Jabbour.
On the last Tuesday every month we host The Urban Farm Garden Chats where Greg Peterson has a relaxed conversation in a Zoom room with a special guest to cover useful gardening topics, and they answer questions from the live listening audience. To join us for the next event, go to www.GardenChat.org or
Click HERE to register for the Monthly Garden Chat with Live Q&A
In This Garden Chat:
Great things come in small packages, even in gardening! Niki Jabbour’s enthusiasm for corners, windowsills, and balconies will have you reconsidering the growing potential of your tiniest spaces. Niki tells us what makes a good space and gives examples of some places that are often overlooked. Learn how to decide which foods to grow and where, how to plant them, and how to ensure your plants thrive in their small space. You’ll never look at a driveway the same way again!
Our Special Guest:
Niki is the author of four books on food gardening including The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener and Growing Under Cover. She’s also a two-time winner of the prestigious American Horticultural Society Book Award. She writes for newspapers and magazines and has hosted a weekly radio show for the past 14 years. Niki gardens in zone 5B in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
– Year-round vegetable gardening in Nova Scotia
– It’s good to be a “leaf thief”
– Choosing the best spot to garden in your space
– Driveway gardening
– What Niki is growing
– Growing herbs indoors
– The difference between sprouts and microgreens
– Selecting a container and the soil to go in it
– How to use seaweed and seaweed alternatives
– “Designer” worm castings
– Deciding what to plant, and where
– Protection from pests and extreme weather
– The importance of learning to grow food
– Should you add sand to your potting soil?
– Replacing or reusing potting soil
– Saving seeds without losing space
– Controlling pests
– Best plants for windowsills
– Allowing enough space for your plants
– How to know when to pick a tomato
Books written by Niki:
How to reach Niki:
Editor’s Note:Check out Niki’s previous podcast
586: Nikki Jabbour on Growing Under Cover
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.