305: Lee Stewart on Healthy Eating Through Gardening.
Finding healing in gardening and peace in helping others grow healthy food.
Lee, the owner of Veg Up Get Dirty was only 4 years old when she made the 2-year journey from Vietnam to the United States. She has been gardening since she came to the US, and believes in the health benefits that come from clean eating.
She is a certified personal trainer, corporate wellness coach, and has over 15 years experience in nutrition and the health and wellness fields. She knows the importance of gardening, clean eating, and is passionate about educating others about the many benefits of gardening.
In This Podcast:
Uprooted as a very young child with her widowed mother from a familiar routine to a chaotic new and foreign world across an ocean, Lee Stewart eventually found healing and health through her gardening hobbies. It made sense that she eventually focused on a career of health and wellness, and it was even more natural for her to find ways to help others start gardening at home so they can find the same healing she did.
Listen in and learn about:
- How she got to America as a young girl with her mother after American troops left Vietnam
- Starting gardening as a young girl and later realizing how beneficial this past time was for her mental health
- Some of the health and wellness positions she has worked over the years
- What inspired her to get into health wellness
- The culture shock she went through as she and her mom transitioned to life in the United States
- Helping a friend start a garden so she could get the organic food she desired, and going back to help her maintain the garden
- How she helps others get started with their own gardens and services them too
- The rewarding aspect of working with her customers
- One of her favorite customers that could not garden much due to health issues and Lee was able to design her a custom raised bed on wheels
As well as:
Her failure – Learning how to compost when she was much younger and running into science experiments
Her success – Hiking the Appalachian trail
Her drive – Helping people! Helping them learn they can do it!
Her advice – You DO have a green thumb, you can do it! Ask a lot of questions, and be patient
Lee’s Book recommendations:
How to reach Lee: