230: Katie Hess on Blooming into Full Potential.
Connecting with nature to empower the natural self.
– – – –
Katie is a flower alchemist and the founder of LOTUSWEI, one of the world’s leading floral apothecaries. After 15 years of independent research of flower and plant-based healing, her flower-powered community is thriving in over 15 countries. Her transformative elixirs having been featured in O, The Oprah Magazine, The New York Times and The LA Times among others.
A lifelong spiritual seeker, Katie has studied meditation and mindful-awareness techniques with several Tibetan Buddhist masters, including the Dalai Lama and the Kamapa, Tibet’s next generation leader.
In This Podcast:
We are learning about a natural-medicine aspect of plant essences through this conversation with flower alchemist Katie Hess. This is a new way for us of connecting with nature, and leads us to understanding more about why we feel at home when we are in our gardens. Katie explains how flowers have such a significant effect on living beings and why working with nature’s gifts can improve our lives profoundly.
Listen in and learn about:
- How after college, she traveled and studied natural medicine everywhere she could
- Then running into a teacher in Spain and expert of flower essences and his comment redirected her focus to plant essences
- Her one-on-one consultations for 10 years and noticing using plant essences made such a difference
- Wanting to get this knowledge out to the whole world
- Starting her new business seven years ago and learning how to be an entrepreneur
- How flowers can benefit our state of mind and why she travels the world herself to collect the various species
- A trip to Canada to collect flowers where she set out into the forest without a clear path and encountering a huge black bear, a butterfly, and a garter snake as guides
- How she learned to trust her intuition, and why she started collecting essences on her own
- What studies are showing with the connection between bees and flowers
- How the essences are collected to get the most effective properties and then prepared
- Why the various strengths of essences affect different aspects of the mind/body
- What are energetic blockages and how do plant essences affect them
- Why technology is helping her explain the connections with plants that she is using
- Looking back into history and how these skills have been used over time
- Some short and long term effects of the elixirs
- How flower elixirs mitigate stress
As well as:
- Her failure – Her attempt to sell elixirs at an expo and after a lot of work and expense only selling two elixirs
- Her success – Creating a movement beyond selling products and educating people about flower essences
- Her drive – The potential we each have individually and collectively
- Her advice – Mother nature is there to help support us through our being vulnerable or going through crazy times and we just need to choose to tap into her
Books written by Katie:
Katie’s Book recommendations:
Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa
How to reach Katie: