720: Chris Sabbarese on Tools and Farming.
Having the right tools in the right condition for our farming jobs.
In This Podcast:
Gardening can be hard work, but it doesn’t have to be. Chris Sabbarese explains how the right tool not only makes the job easier, but it also makes it safer for you and your plants. He describes the difference between a bypass pruner and an anvil pruner, what to look for when choosing tools, and some easy things you can do to keep your tools in tip top shape. Chris also shares his gift for storytelling, taking this inspiring episode much deeper than the humble gardening tool.
Chris Sabbarese is the marketing, communications and social media strategist for Corona Tools, a leading global brand and manufacturer of quality garden and landscape tools since 1928. He joined the organization in 2010, and manages the brand experience with end-users across all forms of digital & print media. Chris also serves as the executive director of GardenComm, a non-profit membership organization made up of green industry communications professionals.
Listen in and learn about:
- 14 years in the audio technology sector, and then a rough patch
- Finding a position at Corona Tools the old fashioned way – in the newspaper
- What Chris did when he didn’t get the job, and the magic it created
- The first tool made by Corona Tools
- How to measure your hand and choose the right tool for the job
- When (and why) you should use a bypass pruner
- For dead branches, use an anvil pruner
- The importance of ergonomic tools
- The best investment for maintaining your tools
- Disinfecting your blades between trees – and why you should never use bleach
- The distinctive sound of progress, unique to Corona tools
- The one about a man in Palm Springs and his one Corona tool
- Connecting the communications industry with the individuals doing the work: GardenComm, a nonprofit, membership organization for communicating the value of gardening
- Corona’s new X series tools – forged aluminum to be lightweight
As well as:
His failure – Not believing in himself enough to take risks sooner
His success – Realizing he can believe in himself and make opportunities happen
His drive – Finding ways to tell stories and connect with people
His advice – “Always be kind.”
Chris’ Book recommendations:
Start with Why by Simon Sineck
How to reach Chris:
Corona Tools Website: https://www.coronatoolsusa.com/
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.