112: Becca Moore on Starting a Homestead.
Making choices for a natural lifestyle, even with little or no land.
Becca lives in Northeastern Pennsylvania with her husband and seven children. She loves to garden, preserve her own food, spend time with her family and she’s an aspiring homesteader. She hopes to own a slew of chickens and maybe even a goat. Becca has started her own homestead and created a blog of her experiences called “Simply Quaint Homestead” to help others who hope to make the journey as well. Her specialty is gardening and home-canning and believes they go hand in hand. She says “If you can grow enough of your own food, you are able to home-can enough to make it through the winter.”
- How her grandparents were the initial inspiration for her gardening love
- What she named her farm and why she was motivated to do so
- Why she raises her rabbits indoors
- Her definition of homesteading, and how you can ensure your self-sufficiency
(this applies to apartment dwellers as well)
- How she is saving money through a variety of ways on her food supplies
- How she gains a sense of accomplishment with the food preparations she is doing for her family
- What to do with excess apples as Greg shares his apple chip recipe
- Her goals for the future
- Her favorite part of homesteading with her family
- Her suggestions on how to homestead when little to no land is available
- Why growing your own food is so important
- How she changed over to home-made laundry detergent
As well as:
- Why she thinks canning was her biggest failure and what she learned from that experience
- What drives her to keep going
- Her advice for podcast listeners on how to start and get things done
How you can reach Becca:
She can also be found on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest
under her Blog name Simply Quaint Homestead
Some of the links in our podcast show notes and blog posts are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase, we will earn a nominal commission at no cost to you. We offer links to items recommended by our podcast guests and guest writers as a service to our audience and these items are not selected because of the commission we receive from your purchases. We know the decision is yours, and whether you decide to buy something is completely up to you.