Jodi Torpey on Blue Ribbon Vegetables
Jodi Torpey is an award-winning vegetable gardener, craftsy gardening instructor, and the founder and editor-in-chief of WesternGardeners.com. In addition to the two books she authored, her garden writing also appears in digital and print media. Since 2010 she’s organized the annual Plant a Row for the Hungry campaign in Denver, Colorado.
Jodi has a lot of great advice on how and why to start growing vegetables for competition purposes. Listen in to our “biggest” podcast ever and find out why we say that. You will also learn about …
- Participating in a National Plant a Row campaign and how she brought it to her community.
- Why we should try to win prizes for our homegrown fruits and vegetables.
- How to interject new life into your garden.
- Preparing for bringing entries to your local county fair.
- Advice for first time competitors in the fruit and vegetable categories.
Some words of wisdom from Jodi:
“If you’re not killing vegetables you’re not really gardening.”
Her best advice is to 1) eat your vegetables and 2) jump in and get started!