251: Shane Jordan on Food Waste.
Making recipes from those leftover ingredients that might have been tossed.
– – – –
Shane is a vegetarian chef and author based in Bristol, England. He works as a part time chef at Arc Cafe while teaching cooking at Universities and Festivals. He has been described as a “pioneer” for this imaginative use of food waste in restaurants and has written a cookbook detailing his alternative approach, called Food Waste Philosophy. In it he explains his concepts and shares many of his popular recipes.
Shane has a passion for education, working in schools and spreading the green message – he is dedicated to showing that dealing with environmental issues can be a fun and interesting experience.
In This Podcast:
Creating a delicious meal using cooking scraps that would have been tossed, or maybe even looked over when shopping, is something that Shane Jordan wants everyone to try. He explains this philosophy for us here and invites you to try things like his Banana Skin Curry.
Listen in and learn about:
- Getting started with the organization Food Cycle
- Being conscious about food and how important this resource is
- What food waste is – and getting past the ‘perfection’ aspect
- His journey that is described in his book
- Why he made the decision to become a vegan then becoming a vegetarian
- His favorite recipe is an unorthodox one: Banana Skin Curry – (Greg calls this out as an EPIC idea)
As well as:
- His failure – A time he ran out of an ingredient and threw in something similar and it was horrible, he learned to become familiar with alternatives to his ingredients
- His success – Working with Love Food, Hate Waste, and other collaborations to make a difference
- His drive – Having a passion and knowing that he is contributing to something
- His advice – Question everything and don’t believe everything you hear
Books written by Shane:
Shane’s Resource recommendations:
He prefers to use the internet and Twitter to find new ideas, and YouTube as well, of course
How to reach Shane: